The Center for Disease Control has some recommendations on managing the symptoms of anxiety and depression.
Being healthy is important for all children and can be especially important for children with depression or anxiety. In addition to getting the right treatment, leading a healthy lifestyle can play a role in managing symptoms of depression or anxiety. Here are some healthy behaviors that may help:4
- Having a healthy eating plan centered on fruits, vegetables, whole grains, legumes (for example, beans, peas, and lentils), lean protein sources, and nuts and seeds
- Participating in physical activity for at least 60 minutes each day
- Getting the recommended amount of sleep each night based on age
- Practicing mindfulness or relaxation techniques
- An app to try to help you with relaxation and to track goals is Calm. Click here to learn more/download.
- Find an outlet through journal or talking
- Prompts to try with journaling
- If someone chooses you to talk to…..
- Pay Attention. Give the speaker your undivided attention, and acknowledge the message.
- Show That You’re Listening
- Provide Feedback
- Defer Judgment
- Respond Appropriately
4Anxiety and Depression in Children. (2020, March 30). Retrieved from https://www.cdc.gov/childrensmentalhealth/depression.html